From jetsp...@theunderground.net
Subject Problems running Jetspeed2 on 3rd-party provider
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:51:49 GMT
All,

I've got Jetspeed 2 working like a champ in my local dev enviroment, but I
encounter some problems when testing out hosting on a 3rd party
(www.eApps.com)

When I try accessing the portal, virtually every portlet has the "Error:
Cannot pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity" error displaying
inside of it (I've included a complete example error at the end of this
email).  The only ones that don't display this are the login portlet
(which is 'collapsed' and displays nothing) and the Rome RSS Portlet,
which works perfectly.  But all of the demo portlets appear to have been
deployed successfully, and everything in their respective config files
matches what's specified in the portal pages.

I've tried out two tests.  First, I tried deploying a simple, "Hello
World" portlet.  And oddly enough, when I accessed the page, the portlet
suddenly launced into some type of full-screen mode (without ANY of the
surrounding Jetspeed template) -- as if it were a stand-alone web app.
Second, I tried getting a complete Jetspeed/Tomcat instance up and running
in my local, similar environment (Fedora).  I then copied the directy over
to the host as-is, and updated the database settings.  Although it worked
perfectly in my environment, it returned the same "Cannot pass a null
PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity" portlet errors when accessing it on
the host.

Any clues as to what the heck is going on?  I'm really quite clueless at
this point...

-Ben

EXAMPLE:

Title Error: Cannot pass a null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.
  Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for demo::RoleSecurityTestFailed
to retrieve Portlet Definition for
demo::RoleSecurityTestjava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot pass a
null PortletDefinition to a PortletEntity.Failed to retrieve Portlet
Definition for demo::RoleSecurityTestFailed to retrieve Portlet
Definition for demo::RoleSecurityTest