From Helmut Tammen <HTam...@htsystemloesungen.de>
Subject Re: JSR-168 Article Part 1 in JavaWorld
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:29:22 GMT
Hi,

I came a little bit late to this discussion.
You should have had a look at the SAP Enterprise Portal
(http://www.iviewstudio.com). They already extensively work with iFrames.
Each portlet (they call them iViews) is enclosed in an iFrame.
And furthermore they have sophisticated client side features like
client-side eventing to send messages from one portlet (iView) to
another and the client data-bag to exchange data from one portlet to
another.

With client-side eventing a portlet (in an iFrame) for example can send
a request (data from a form) to the server and then inform another
portlet (in another iFrame) that it should update itself because the
data at the server has changed.

The data-bag for example can be used to fill the fields of a form in
portlet 1 upon a selection in portlet 2.

Another feature is the possibility to store the state of a portlet at
the client and restore it later. This can be used if the user filled a
lot of data into a form, then quickly goes to another portal page
without sending the form data to the server (for example to look at his
mailbox) and afterwards returns to the portlet with the form. After
returning to this portlet all the data is still available.
I haven´t worked with this feature yet but I was told that it´s possible.

These features together with the server-side framework make it possible
to build complex portal applications with portlets that interact with
each other.

If you are interested in it you can download the PDK (Portal Development
Kit) from http://www.iviewstudio.com. The PDK is a small version of the
Enterpise Portal which can be installed within tomcat. It encloses a lot
of examples an more detailed documentation of the mentioned features.

Unfortunatly it´s not Open Source. When I switched to Jetspeed (because
it is OSS) I missed these features.

regards
Helmut