From "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Raphael.L...@groupvu.Com>
Subject RE: Jetspeed Performance tips
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:40:36 GMT

Is it a temporary peak or do you see a sustained increase in the
usage after the peak ?

Is your portlet set as cacheable in the portal ? If so what is your
cache expire time ?

Do you have the feaddaemon/diskdaemon running ? If so, it will negatively
impact the performance while running.

Finally, what is the memory available to your webapp server ? Peak
in response times may be correlated to garbage collection (profile
memory usage vs response time to make sure). The overall memory
overhead of processing a Jetspeed page is *much* higher than that of
a simple JSP.
If you have too much memory available to your webapp server, Jetspeed
will create objects until your reach the high mark memory limit, and
then trigger the GC which may take significant processing time to
free a large amount of objects...
Try experimenting with the different GC settings on your platform
for optimal results (or use multiple server instances with lower
memory limits for each).

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

Vivendi Universal - HTTP://www.vivendiUniversal.com:
material of Vivendi Universal which is for the exclusive use of the
individual designated above as the recipient. Any review, retransmission,
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact immediately
the sender by returning e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
If you are not the specified recipient, you are hereby notified that all
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or action taken on the basis of this
message is prohibited.