From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed not deploying on Tomcat 4.1.24 LE
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:04:16 GMT

One possible reason is that Jetspeed uses XML extensively and may,
improperly, use a specific XML parser.  In this case, I would guess it
might specifically use the Xerces parser.  the LE version of  Tomcat
doesn't come with Xerces.  It should be using the Interfaces and use
whatever parser is available.  BTW, xerces, xalan, mail, and anything else
with endorsed packages should *not* be in WEB-INF/lib.  It violates the Sun
classloading spec and causes lots of hard to debug classloader
errors.  Tomcat now attempts to avoid loading endorsed packages from the
WebappClassLoader, but I recommend not putting that stuff there in the
first place to, if nothing else, avoid confusion when things don't work and
it looks like they should.  Endorsed packages should be loaded via the
shared classloaders or the boot/system classloader.

I actually recommend using the full version of Tomcat no matter what for
any situation.  I really don't have a clue why they ship an "LE"
version.  A smaller download maybe?  In this day in age of broadband
internet access, I don't see the reason?

Jake