From Shan Gopalakrishnan <sgopa...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed Performance tips
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:24:42 GMT
Santiago

>In all the experiments I have seen (always on 1GB dual PentiumIII
>machines), Jetspeed degrades sharply at about 50 concurrent requests, and
>this has not changed in the last year. You could be seeing the same
>behaviour, but scaled to your CPU, RAM and architecture. I would try to
>use less concurrent requests (at a sustained rate) to test the limits. Try
>several hours with 20, then 50, etc. Also, notice that the server hotspot
>VM needs time to see hotspots and optimize them, and during method
>compilation it actually slows down the whole system.
Yes, somewhat exact behavior I'm seeing. Below is the hardware config of
our machine.  We ramped up 1user every 10sec up to 100 users
and the 100 users stayed 30 mts executing bunch of portal actions.  I see
spikes at 28th minute with just a Hello World portlet. I'm also
investigating JDK1.4.x and Borland 5.x to see any cause. will post you with
more information. thanks a lot

System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire 280R (2 X
UltraSPARC-III+)
System clock frequency: 150 MHz
Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

========================= CPUs ===============================================

           Run    E$    CPU     CPU
Brd  CPU  MHz    MB   Impl.    Mask
  A    0    900   8.0  US-III+  2.2
  B    1    900   8.0  US-III+  2.2

            Logical  Logical  Logical
       MC   Bank     Bank     Bank         DIMM    Interleave  Interleaved
  Brd  ID   num      size     Status       Size    Factor      with
  CA    0     0      2048MB   no_status    1024MB     2-way        0
  CA    0     2      2048MB   no_status    1024MB     2-way        0