From Shan Gopalakrishnan <sgopa...@cisco.com>
Subject Jetspeed Performance tips
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:02:49 GMT
Hello all,

Thanks for the great posting on Jetspeed mailing list.  We are evaluating
Jetspeed for use in a project within Cisco.  I hope you can shed some light
on some of the problems we are facing.

In a very simple test of one portlet that has fixed content (no business
logic, no database access, etc.), we have observed some weired behavior and
are suspecting Jetspeed is the cause.  We use LoadRunner to run 100
concurrent users that pull the same page that has the one portlet of fixed
content.  It runs smoothly for about 25 minutes (it takes about 16 minutes
to ramp up the 100 users) and then the response time starts to climb quite
sharply form < 1s to 8s and then to > 20s or higher while CPU goes from 75%
to 45%.  We put the same logic in the plain JSP and ran it with the same
load and response time was always flat under 1s. We put in the recommended
Jetspeed settings.

Has any one done similar  tests, did you observe something like that?  Do
you have any suggestions where to look further?  This is on Solaris 8 with
JDK 1.4.1_01, Tomcat 4.1.18 and Jetspeed 1.4b3.

Thanks!

- Shan