From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Applet Portlet
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:08:34 GMT
Anthony Smith wrote:

>Has anybody thought about making a portal an applet?

This has been discussed a while ago, in the context of multidevice (look
at the list archives, about one year ago).

The vision is that Jetspeed could send several MIME types, like:

- text/html (whet you have now)
- application/vnd-wap-wml (a WAP version of the PSML)
- application/pdf  (a printable version of the whole PSML description)
- application/java (a PSML made into a swing interface)

from the same source PSML and portlets.

The vision is far, though. The main problems are:

- We need a whole portal specification language. Not just markup for
portlets, but also a better action and form support.
- We need that the whole portlet set in use is developed using a formal
markup (like xml or xhtml).

However, the steps we are taking go into the right direction. For
instance, now we have some standard actions, that could be easily
implemented as swing buttons.

I'm specially concerned with two issues currently:

- Having parameter isolation between portlets, in the sense that a
portlet will *not* see parameters passed for other portlets, and will be
able to retrieve those passed from the browser.
- Having semantics for declarative events, such as a portlet declaring
the engine the "call backs"/parameter sets it supports, and the portal
engine encoding/decoding these depending of media type.