From Ray Martin <RayMar...@aci-hq.com>
Subject RE: .../WEB-INF/classes
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 19:43:51 GMT
Yes, Sir,

i can provide some instructions on how to do this - meaning download and
install the nightly build for jetspeed.

i am not suggesting that you do it - i am just gonna tell you how you can
proceed.

if you have put time and energy into understanding Jetspeed from the
release version as i have - throw away all of your knowledge - spit it out
like waste.

the whole thing has changed.  you won't be able to find things.  the files
are not where you expect them to be.  new tags have appeared and ya can't
find their definitions - tell me where screenJsp is defined.  it used to be
ecsscreen defined in ... /templates/tld/template.tld - don't expect
screenJsp to be defined there.

jetspeed.jcfg is gone. no rhyme, no reason, no explanation - just gone.
 search far and wide through piles and piles of files - this is called
progress.

this is a painful experience.  after you have "upgraded" (that sure is the
wrong word), the site becomes painfully slow - sometimes you wonder if it
will ever return - if you get tired of waiting, minimize the browser, and
restore it - this was faster for me.

the site has bloomed, but is it better? try to make heads and tails of it.

go to http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-jetspeed/nightly/2001-12-03/
there are two jetspeed zip files - one for windows platforms, on efor Unix
platforms.
select the one right for you.
place the downloaded file in a directory of your choice  on Windows, i put
it right at C:\  on Unix, i put it at /usr/tools
unzip the file
on Windows extract, on Unix use GNU tar to untar
the resultant directory is jakarta-jetspeed
follow the directions in the Install file (these are good useful
directions, the builds scripts are great)
after installing and viewing the installation with your browser - return to
the land of pain

when you attempt to produce your first class using PortletHowTo  things go
south in a hurry - the classpaths are a nightmare.  the jetspeed jar is not
where you would have expected it - .../WEB-INF/lib with all of the rest of
the jars.  also, the Turbine jar would not work for me - had to point to
another version elsewhere.

the documentation was not included in the download - thus not in the WAR
file - this is meaningful to me because i am developing on an isolated
Intranet - otherwise you would just point your browser at the Jetspeed site
on the Internet and view the documentation.  i didn't have this advantage
at my developement site, therefore, the pain was increased.

you will observe that life is a set of checks and balances.  when the pain
outweighs the advantages, we cease and go elsewhere - what other choice
does one have?

i believe the issue of portals (information perspective) and view ports
(GUI layouts and decorations) had become too interwoven and too
interspersed that the true meanings of the terms can no longer be
discerned.

the nighlty build is further separated from interaction with Cocoon then
the release build - this is a tremendous setback for me.