From David Taylor <davidseantay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Planning jetspeed-2.2.2, pluto-2.0.3, bridges-script-2.0 and several apa-*-1.2 releases
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:23:15 GMT
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
> (note: moved this response to jetspeed-dev@ as I don't think it concerns
> pluto-dev@)

Ah, your cross post got me

> On 09/20/2011 07:55 AM, David Taylor wrote:
>>
>> Ate, I thought you were planning on updating the LDAP documentation
>> before releasing 2.2.....
>
> Hi David,
>
> Yes, that has been my intention, but so far I haven't been able to allocate
> time for this yet. And as none of our customers are waiting for this either,
> it has to come out of my own personal time.

Well, if you don't have time to work on it, that is understandable.
Let someone else do it. There needs to be a documented step by step
process for cutting a release so that any committer who is not busy
can step up. Its been a few releases since I released any Apache
project, to be honest I don't remember all the steps. Seems this
document is not up-to-date and actually has old procedures:

docs/release/RELEASE-TODO.txt

Could you possibly update the document (for Jetspeed and Pluto as
well), while its fresh in your mind, I really don't mean to make more
work for you....

> As a voluntary task I need to balance that against other responsibilities
> and currently there are simply too many other things taking precedence.
>
> That is unsatisfactory of course, definitely for me as well, but it is how
> things work with voluntary contributions.
>
> I still do intent to pick this up but I can't and won't make specific
> promises anymore for when it will be done.
>
> Concerning the jetspeed 2.2.2 release, the LDAP integration certainly is a
> nice feature, but as said we don't have any customers waiting for this
> documentation, while there is a need for the new Jetspeed release.

The problem is that the current documentation is no longer accurate.
It leads people into a trap, they get stuck, and no one responds on
jetspeed-user mailing list to help them. See Jerome Dupont's questions
on jetspeed-user this summer. Because LDAP integration requires step
by step procedures, it should never have been released without proper
documentation

> Woonsan already got the portal-bridges-script-2.0 release vote going (should
> be completed today I think) and I initiated the release for pluto-2.0.3 late
> last night.
>
> The next phase will be the release preparation for the apa-* modules and
> thereafter sometimes next week the final release for jetspeed.
>
> However, there are still a few issues open on Jetspeed for which it is
> unclear to me how/when these can be resolved or else moved to the next
> version.
> As 3 of those are currently assigned to you, can you provide some indication
> for these?

The JetUI documentation took a lot of my time. I will continue going
through all bugs and close them out by early next week

> Finally, we need one last but required improvement for the
> jetspeed-installer: dynamically configuring the Jetspeed admin and Tomcat
> manager/deployer account passwords at install time. Currently these are
> hard-coded and thereby pose a potential security risk which we should fix
> before this release.
> I'll create a separate JIRA issue for it later today.

Yup, I remember that one. I was thinking it would be a required entry
field on a new panel in the Jetspeed installer. I guess its a security
risk to even provide default values...