From Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <gagui...@aguilardelgado.com>
Subject Re: BIRT and portal
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:45:36 GMT
Hi Ate,

I'm becoming again against this issue.

I'm rebuilding the BIRT interface to be able take advantage of the new
UI. I'm also rewriting everything to use wicket as the rest of my
portlets.

I don't know if you have news about your report project.

I will propose this new portlet as extra portlet for jetspeed when it's
finished.

Best regards.

El vie, 27-11-2009 a las 14:38 +0100, Ate Douma escribiĆ³:
> Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado wrote:
> > Hi Ate,
> >
> > I'm sorry for my late answer but I was really busy this week...
> So was I, hence this delayed response :)
>

> > I think you should look for a BI environment...
> >
> > Maybe you will want to take a look to pentaho (http://www.pentaho.com/)
> Yes, I'm aware of the pentaho project.
> For our purposes however, and the desire to deliver a *generic* reporting service manageable
and usable from within the portal itself to be
>   provided through either the Apache Jetspeed Portal project itself or, preferably, the
Apache Portals Applications project, it really isn't
> an option.
> The Pentaho community edition uses a mixture of licenses (very confusing), most of which
are incompatible with the ASF license nor endorsed
> as such, e.g. GPL and LGPL are not allowed by the ASF.
> Furthermore, the Pentaho BI suite is imo too "overweight" for our purposes, although
certainly valuable if you need full blown BI support.
> Besides the license problems, making use of Pentaho probably would end up as a separate
solution with some "integration" bridging to make it
> accessible and usable from within the portal, but unlikely to provide the "integrated"
management we're looking for.
> However, I'm not a real Pentaho expert so I might be mistaken in this regard.
> But anyway, the license issue really is such a blocker that there is no use for me to
spend more time to investigate it (now).

> > I brought some books (I'm waiting for them) about implementation because
> > this makes more sense for my
> > objectives. And maybe yours...
> >
> > With pentaho you can build the BI environment in the back and server
> > reports with
> > jetspeed as needed.
> >
> > I'm looking for this solution to see if Jetspeed connections make sense.
> >
> > I'm not sure about the right way to go right now but your project looks
> > big enough
> > to take a look around before choosing way...
> Sure, I agree on that, but AFAIK the BIRT engine itself already should be embeddable
(with some effort) and as such, I'm expecting the
> integration efforts to do so probably wouldn't amount to more (probably even less) than
trying to integrate a BI solution like Pentaho.
> And, as the BIRT license *is* acceptable for the ASF (as binary distribution, not for
customizations), my plan is to continue with that
> route, unless someone comes up with a better idea or has something already available
to contribute :)

> Besides the reporting engine itself though, we'll also need some base Reporting Portlets,
providing access to and capable of rendering BIRT
> based reports... As AFAIK Pentaho also (just) uses BIRT for that, and you already have
some experience by leveraging this from within
> portlets, your knowledge and experience in this will be very valuable!
> So if you want to help in this area, we would very much appreciate that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ate
>

> >> Well, sure :)
> >>
> >> As I mentioned before, we have a request to provide a BIRT reporting *service*
with Jetspeed so to bring standard reporting capabilities
> >> accessible from portlets.
> >> Our goal is to provide both report definition and maintenance features, e.g.
through dedicated admin portlets and a report (configuration)
> >> repository, as well as allowing portlets to "serve" such reports.
> >> Primary (first) target for such reports would be the Jetspeed own configuration,
e.g. like the security data, but as a generic BIRT
> >> reporting service and configuration repository it should be extendable and usable
for any (business) application reporting integration.
> >> Our preference would be to provide this as a "standard" portal and portlets
solution, e.g. even usable for other portals, by hosting this as
> >> a "standards" compliant solution at Apache Portals Application, http://portals.apache.org/applications/,
but of course it should work in
> >> Jetspeed-2 first and foremost, so this is not yet a strict requirement.
> >>
> >> If you want to help out and collaborate on this or even just provide some valuable
input, that would be much appreciated.