From "Dahl, Sandra" <SD...@dvsAnalytics.com>
Subject RE: login portlet extension
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:44:21 GMT
Thanks for the information, David. In general, what is the best practice for extending an existing
Jetspeed portlet so future Jetspeed updates can be easily implemented?

Thanks!
Sandi

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sean Taylor [mailto:d.taylor@onehippo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:54 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: login portlet extension

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Dahl, Sandra <SDahl@dvsanalytics.com> wrote:

> Our application requires a login portlet that is like the login portlet
> that ships that Jetpseed 2. However, our application requires some changes
> to the portlet. Examples of changes include changing the messages the
> portlet displays and tracking the number of unsuccessful log in attempts.

The login messages are stored in a resource file found in the j2-admin
application under
org.apache.jetspeed.portlets.security.resources.LoginResources_(language).properties

There already is a feature for configuring limits on unsuccessful logins.
See the online documentation here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/credentials.html
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/security-config.html

> What is the best way to take the standard login portlet and extend it so
> our changes do not interfere with future Jetspeed releases? Is the login
> portlet included with j2-admin?

Yes, its a part of j2-admin application. If you want to extend say the
resource messages, you can repackage the j2-admin war, and override the
resource files by placing yours in the WEB-INF/classes directory under the
same package as the replaced Jetspeed resources

> Thanks!
> Sandi
>

> ________________________________
> Confidentiality Notice:
> The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is
> privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of
> the addressee. If the reader is not the intended recipient, or the employee,
> or the agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
> communication in error, please notify us by return email or telephone
> immediately. Thank you.

Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and
confidential.  It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee.  If the reader
is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or the agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify us by return email or telephone immediately.  Thank you.