From David Sean Taylor <d.tay...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Jetspeed Authorization
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:35:16 GMT

On Aug 19, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Deepak Kaimal wrote:

> David,
> Thank you for your response and I hope you enjoyed your vacation, I
> am sure it was well earned.
>
> My aim was to create a Policy Enforcement Point (PEP) for J2 with
> the OpenSSO server acting as the PDP and PAP. As we progressed, we
> realized that the authorization components are distributed within
> the J2 codebase and because of the different kinds of authorization
> modes supported, it is not easy to pull just that component out.
>
> We have decided that letting J2 manage authorization internally is
> probably more robust and performance optimized since there is no
> easy and manageable way to plugin a new authorization system.
>
> Overall, I am now of the belief that authentication can be
> centralized, but authorization is best handled natively.

OK... yes, we have the Java Security Policy based checks as well as
Security Constraints. I still like the idea of having a central
security accessor service as the dependency to all other services
requiring high level authorization checks. I am considering creating a
JIRA issue to complete this work, although Im quite busy right now
coming, especially after returning from vacation :) and not sure when
I can get to it