From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject Re: JPA_BRANCH status
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 01:21:13 GMT
Comments inline.

Randy

David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 10:16 AM, Randy Watler wrote:
>
>> Jetspeed on JPA is struggling to its feet. I have not tested beyond
>> bringing up the default page, but getting this far cleanly is reason
>> enough to give you all an update!
>>
>> - First, there is now a JPA branch for j2-admin. This was required
>> because of minor, but required, API changes to J2 itself. Nothing
>> serious, but I opted to create a branch rather than sharing a patch
>> file.
>>
>> - I have not modified all the maven plugins to support the JPA
>> configuration. This was more than I wanted to bite off at the moment
>> and it is unclear whether we'll support two configurations, (OJB and
>> JPA), going forward. Instead, I have added all the necessary
>> configurations, but left them supporting OJB mode by default. Here is
>> the list of changes one needs to manually complete to switch a
>> deployed OBJ version to use JPA:
>>
>> webapps/jetspeed/META-INF/context.xml:
>>   uncomment the JPA NonXA datasource resource and JTA transactions tags.
>> webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/web.xml:
>>   uncomment the jetspeed-xa datasource reference tags.
>> webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/spring-filter.properties:
>>   comment out the 'default,obj' default property.
>>   uncomment the 'default,jpa' default property.
>>
>> Start the portal normally, and you should be in the brave new JPA world!
>>
>> - I have yet to include a required JAR file for real XA support. Will
>> be doing that in the next few days. In the interim, only the "fake"
>> non-xa configuration is active. For those that are curious, the
>> non-xa configuration is perfectly safe for our typical configuration
>> of single database on a single server. A real XA datasource is needed
>> to include multiple databases as part of a portal transaction that
>> includes external database operations.
>
> IIUC this stuff is all administration of portal configuration and any
> transaction should be entirely separate from any user application
> transactions.  I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where you would
> consider having this configuration info on more than one database.
> Have  I misunderstood? On the other hand, if there is only one
> database then xa isn't really any slower than non-xa since you use
> single phase commit.
The idea is to support transactions that span multiple persistence
units, (we're currently using PU per component), and to support more
sophisticated database topologies where integration is required, (i.e.
user authentication). Yes, the idea is that the 2PC should fall back to
1PC. We are going to be testing to ensure we are making good decisions here.

> BTW maybe you explained this in a post I missed but I've been
> wondering how you settled on the tm you are using rather than e.g. the
> geronimo tm and connector framework together with the jencks spring
> integration.  Aside from pushing projects named after me :-) I'm
> hoping for easy geronimo integration.... and in general if you're
> running in an ee app server using the servers' tm would be advisable.
> Anyway maybe this is already taken care of by spring.... I'm no expert.

We are currently using Atomikos since it is showing signs of life as a
project, unlike JOTM, and can be easily integrated into Tomcat. We will
no doubt attempt to use container services in those environments that
have transaction support like Geronimo. The integration points with the
transaction manager are almost entirely in Spring, so swapping solutions
should be relatively simple. We shall see.