From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [RT] Spring Configuation
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:44:49 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Okay, it seems that noone else has done these things already. At least I
> haven't found/seen any other examples.
Ok, although it still seems weird to me nobody else came up with the same idea (as well as
a solution).

> As a starting point I would like to extend the Cocoon Spring
> configurator (CSC) with the below described logic. The CSC does already
> half of the required stuff (property and overwrite handling), so I think
> it makes sense to add the missing piece.
> As I already said, the CSC is hosted at Cocoon because this is the place
> where it all started. We can move it to whereever we think it needs to
> be *and* we can replace the search directory path "cocoon/something"
> with something more general.
> I hope everyone is fine with this for now?
Np for now.

> Ok, currently the CSC reads properties from
> META-INF/cocoon/properties and META-INF/cocoon/properties/{runningMode}
>
> The CSC reads spring bean definitions from
> META-INF/cocoon/spring/*.xml and META-INF/cocoon/spring/{runningMode}*.xml
>
> It also reads overwrite definitions from
> META-INF/cocoon/spring/*.properties and
> META-INF/cocoon/spring/{runningMode}*.properties
>
> I propose to add the following:
> We define a rule based language - we can either use existing rules
> implementations or create our own (xml) based one.
> The basic idea is to start with named rules that can test properties and
> include bean definitions.
> I would start with a simple xml based config file for these rules. The
> CSC reads the rules from
>
> META-INF/cocoon/spring/*.xrules and
> META-INF/cocoon/spring/{runningMode}*.xrules
>
> As the rules have a name (unique identifier) it's possible to overwrite
> them inside the running mode specific configuration files.
>
> The rules itself have include directives that can include spring bean
> files from any available path (classpath etc.)
>
> WDYT?
To be honest, I'm a bit confused about what you are proposing.
Without a concrete example and explanation what this rule language is/looks like and is supposed
to do my gut reaction is this might be overkill for what we need.
I definitely think we need as simple as possible solution using conventions and a language
commonly known.
That's why I tried to come up with a jstl/el type of example as its a standard and widly known
language and the runtime evaluation should be easily embeddable.
Defining or even dynamically loading our own custom language seems a bit too far fetched.
But maybe I simply misunderstood your proposal and is it actually very simple, so it would
be great if you could provide an example.

Regards, Ate