From "Aaron Evans" <aaronmev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modifying the Jetspeed Desktop
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:38:34 GMT
On 4/23/07, Weaver, Scott <weavers@ugs.com> wrote:
> > I've been using dojo for a while now. In fact, I think it was a
> > posting from Scott that got me on to it!
>
> That's it blame me!!! LOL!
>
> I agree with you Aaron, I DETESTED writing my own javascript with all
> the browser crap that I had to keep in the back of my head and what.
> Dojo did improve on my feeling about using javascript somewhat.
> However, when I found jQuery, it was like a whole new world opened up.
> I actually wanted to write javascript, well at least writing it the
> jQuery way ;-). jQuery uses XPath for traversing the DOM and is quite
> quick at it.  jQuery's has a plugin architecture for extending the
> jQuery core which is surprisingly elegant and simple.  I find myself
> writing much less code now that I am using jQuery.  You will be amazed
> at what you can to in just 10 lines of jQuery.  jQuery also has a very
> active community and a plethora of 3rd party plugins already available.
>
> I dunno jQuery just "feels" right if that makes sense.  It is the same
> feeling I got when I started using Spring.
>
> Okay, I will get off my soap box now ;-)

I think I read a bit about jquery a while back and it sounds
interesting. IIRC, and correct me if I am wrong, but i thought it kind
of worked like:
1. give me all nodes of type X
2. Now apply the following styles and behaviors to that resulting node set.

> p.s.
>
> Actually one of our biggest performance hang-ups (after widgets) was the
> DOJO packaging system. IIRC, any time you "include" a package an
> XMLHttpRequest is issued to the server to grab the code.  From what I
> have seen and I may be wrong, browsers do not cache XMLHttpRequests,
> well at least not without jumping through nasty hoops on the server side
> and even then I don't know if you can get the browser to cache.

You address this issue by creating a custom build so that it need not
do an http request for these resources because they would be built
into the dojo.js file.  I think it will cache the .js files anyway,
but not the .html files for the widget templates.

Anyhow, like I said, I'm not necessarily advocating dojo over other
solutions. But I am so neck deep in it now that we'll probably stick
with it for the forseable future.

-aaron