From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: About the Desktop interface....is it slow????
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:09:37 GMT

On Apr 18, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Mikko Wuokko wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I just had thinked quite the same. Fragment refreshing would be a
> nice to have. I came with an idea yesterday concerning this.

We fully support fragment rendering in Jetspeed 2.1. That is exactly
how each portlet is rendered from the Desktop
Because of the nature of tabs being different pages in Jetspeed, we
re-render the entire page when switching tabs
Fragment rendering will be supported as a standard in the 2.0 spec

> What if Jetspeed would provide an AJAX api which would render a
> fragment by its id, whether it is a portlet or layout fragment
> wouldn't matter, both would be rendered as it should. So the API
> would return instead of the XML data the API now produces, the
> actual content, the html, of a portlet (or page), and then that new
> content could be used to replace the content of an existing
> fragment with the same id. The replacing shouldn't be too hard, or
> am I wrong?

Rendering by ID is already available: try rendering a portlet like this:

http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portlet?entity=dp-3&portlet=j2-
admin::LocaleSelector

The Desktop is a client-side aggregation taking a PSML file as the
instructions to render the page.
Each portlet fragment on the page is rendered individually, over a
URL such as the one shown above

Try navigating to the default page on the desktop
You will see that individual portlets are rendered separately
Additionally the action phase is handled as an "AJAX" request, and
all individual portlets are re-rendered over the portlet pipeline