From "Weaver, Scott" <weav...@ugs.com>
Subject RE: Modifying the Jetspeed Desktop
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:27:33 GMT
> I've been using dojo for a while now. In fact, I think it was a
> posting from Scott that got me on to it!

That's it blame me!!! LOL!

I agree with you Aaron, I DETESTED writing my own javascript with all
the browser crap that I had to keep in the back of my head and what.
Dojo did improve on my feeling about using javascript somewhat.
However, when I found jQuery, it was like a whole new world opened up.
I actually wanted to write javascript, well at least writing it the
jQuery way ;-). jQuery uses XPath for traversing the DOM and is quite
quick at it.  jQuery's has a plugin architecture for extending the
jQuery core which is surprisingly elegant and simple.  I find myself
writing much less code now that I am using jQuery.  You will be amazed
at what you can to in just 10 lines of jQuery.  jQuery also has a very
active community and a plethora of 3rd party plugins already available.

I dunno jQuery just "feels" right if that makes sense.  It is the same
feeling I got when I started using Spring.

Okay, I will get off my soap box now ;-)

p.s.

Actually one of our biggest performance hang-ups (after widgets) was the
DOJO packaging system. IIRC, any time you "include" a package an
XMLHttpRequest is issued to the server to grab the code.  From what I
have seen and I may be wrong, browsers do not cache XMLHttpRequests,
well at least not without jumping through nasty hoops on the server side
and even then I don't know if you can get the browser to cache.

-scott