From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: it fails in the seed data
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:16:37 GMT
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 1/19/07, David Sean Taylor <david@bluesunrise.com> wrote:
>> I don't know man, i've about had it with this m...
>> OK, I'll edit the POM and put it up on my repo
>> Thanks for digging into that one
>
> Maven's problem is that no one ever deletes their repository. Because
> is is such a pain in the ass to rebuild.
>
> There are two maintenance problems. The remote repository as you know
> very well and the local repository. I think maven is a good build
> platform. It's not better than ant but rather more efficient with
> multiproject build managment and documentation and reporting.

I updated both Maven-1 and Maven-2 remote repositories recently (Maven-2
just this morning). I try to keep them up-to-date.
Personally, I don't like having two builds. Its too much work for me to
keep both builds working. If we had a committer who was dedicated to
each build, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

> Ant was perfect we just stored all the necessary jars in the source
> repository.
>
> I propose that we just do this again and instruct users to build
> offline. But the first task is to reduce the size of the repository.
> I'm going to take this task on.
>
> It's not as if maven is saving bandwidth. Checking out the source with
> dependencies and building using a remote repository results in the
> same bandwidth use. Storing the jars in svn reduces the maintenance
> work associated with remote repositories.

Ant is fine. Whatever the community likes best.
At this point I am tired of arguing the benefits of Maven.
Gawd knows I've tried hard to convince people to like Maven, but it has
been a losing battle.

After the 2.1 release, I would like to see Jetspeed move towards tighter
integration with WTP, and achieving custom build tasks via the GUI as
well as the command line.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software