From "Hajo Birthelmer" <H...@BlueSunrise.com>
Subject RE: it fails in the seed data
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:25:52 GMT
This is an interesting point.

Maven claims to ease the development process, not to make it more
cumbersome.
The idea of automatic dependency resolution is great, but the devil is in
the detail and reading all these comments about the build process make me
believe that it is time to get to come to a common solution here.

Just an observation and certainly open for critic:

Ant is the mother-of-all-evil and we cannot live without it - yet shipping
around tons of jars for every release is not too savvy either.
Maven-1 has been around for a while and judging by the developer list has
been more-or-less ok.
Maven-2 has been less successful - the weird behavior in resolving
dependencies as I and others experienced recently is just one example.
(Funny to say this in the open source community, but even we - open source
developers - would like to have tools that work without additional
debugging).

Having said that, I believe the very capable resources of the Jetspeed
should follow their main goal and spend their time on enhancing Jetspeed,
rather than discovering and fixing bugs with "productivity tools" (sorry for
that, but we in Jetspeed face the same quality requirements from the outside
world - our product has to do what it is supposed to).
I suggest we focus on one build environment for the source code - which
would be Maven-1 - and probably create custom-build only from jar-deployment
for Maven-2.
In addition - a self-contained ant-build should be available for download.

Hajo Birthelmer