From "Steve Milek" <s.mi...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: svn commit: r469307 [1/3] - in /portals/jetspeed-2/trunk: applications/gems/src/java/org/apache/portals/gems/dojo/ applications/j2-admin/src/java/org/apache/jetspeed/portlets/security/permissions/ applications/j2-admin/src/webapp/WEB-INF/ applica
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:21:47 GMT
Aaron,

Yes. This check-in attempts to solve the listed deficiencies. It's a bit
much to ask people to figure it out without a doc though. Once I get a doc
out there I'll be anxious to hear your comments (but, of course, don't feel
like you have to wait until then).

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Evans [mailto:aaronmevans@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:47 AM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: svn commit: r469307 [1/3] - in /portals/jetspeed-2/trunk:
applications/gems/src/java/org/apache/portals/gems/dojo/
applications/j2-admin/src/java/org/apache/jetspeed/portlets/security/per
missions/ applications/j2-admin/src/webapp/WEB-INF/ applica

On 10/30/06, smilek@apache.org <smilek@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: smilek
> Date: Mon Oct 30 14:35:55 2006
> New Revision: 469307

> Log:
> Improved management of html <head> content via HeaderResource and
HeaderAggregatorImpl.

> Recently added doHeader phase has facilitated a close examination of
remaining header generation problems. This check-in is about addressing the
following deficiencies:

> 1) Detection of the addition of duplicate header content is too
coarse-grained. For example, entire script blocks are compared with each
other as each is added. Exacerbating this problem is that each block is the
complete definition for an html element to be added to the <head> (e.g.

> 2) In order to load a toolkit like dojo, each portlet which requires dojo
needs to specify all header content needed to load the basic dojo in
addition to any portlet specific header requirements. Making matters worse,
this portlet must deal with the differences in dojo loading between /portal
and /desktop. To date this problem has been mitigated by moving the common
load code to a base class such as AbstractDojoVelocityPortlet.

> 3) Header content must be specified in java code and/or templates (e.g.
velocity, jsp). The template solution further encumbers the effort to detect
duplicate header content.

> 4) The ordering of header content is determined by whatever order the
portlets get rendered.

> We're writing an entry on this topic to add to the Documentation Guides.
>

> Steve Milek

Steve,
are you saying this checkin *solves* the above deficiencies?  Just
curious because I've been doing a lot of thinking around this stuff
lately...

-aaron