From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: develop with J2
Date Wed, 17 May 2006 18:02:09 GMT
Vlachogiannis Evangelos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have undertaken a project aiming to develop a portal infrastructure
> for Greek universities. We have just finished the requirements analysis
> and have decided to use Jetspeed 2 for our implementation.
>
> Well, we are about to decide our development tools and procedures, and
> we d like to get some feedback from the experts. We are considering
> mainly two tools: Eclipse and Sun Studio. Our requirements are:
> - Easy synchronization with upcoming Jetspeed 2 versions

Eclipse is pretty well proven with Jetspeed-2
We already have project files (.classpath, .project) with the distribution

> - Good and easy team working

SVN Eclipse Plugin is pretty good, has one nasty bug though

> - Easy to run
> - Debugging features

I use remote-debugging with Eclipse, but I've heard you can debug with
MyEclipse + Tomcat embedded as well

> Regarding Sun Studio the "new portlet" feature seems interesting but how
> can we use jetspeed as our portlet provider (??). And further how can
> the sync our developments with an upcoming Jetspeed version?

I haven't looked at Sun Studio recently
We need to

> Regarding Eclipse:
> - The Web Application plugin is a very good one for web application and
> eclipse allow for great plugins like XML editors e.t.c. But how can we
> have a web application (jetspeed 2) and inside other web application
> (portlets) (????)

I do remote debugging, never tried the Webapp plugin

> - Working with mavenide how can we debug (only logs?) and how again sync
> with a new J2 ver?
>
> Any other tool?
>
> Finally, is there a plan for a new J2 release?

Shooting for 2.1 end of June (and APacheCon Europe)

> We would really appreciate any help,
>
> Regards,
> Evangelos Vlachogiannis (http://www.syros.aegean.gr/users/evlach)

David Sean Taylor