From Roger Ruttimann <roger.ruttim...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] J2 Bulid: Ant vs. Maven
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:30:24 GMT
I have seen all the posts on this thread and it seems that a move to ant
is in
favor of people that replied.

Despite of some shortcomings of maven-1 (documentation/plugins) it's still
a powerful tool especially the dependency check. We use maven in our company
and an advantage was that it was simple to add a new project by defining the
dependencies (project.xml) and use the default tasks (war) for a build.

The general trend for apache projects builds is to move to maven-2.
The response so far was positive and lot of  maven -1 issues are
resolved with maven-2. If we change the build tool it should be
maven-2 rather than ant.

In my opinion the major issues of the build process are not the tools
but the
complexity of the project. To many dependencies to internal components.
I don't think ant would be a good tool to manage that. With the current
complexity ant's build.xml would become un-manageable.

There was an email thread to simplify the structure and make the build
process
more manageable. We should continue on that.

My suggestion is the following:

    * Simplify the complexity of the Jetspeed build.
    * Decide if we stay with maven-1 or go with maven-2

Roger