From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] J2 Bulid: Ant vs. Maven
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:56:11 GMT
+1 for Ant...

While I've been a maven advocate a long time and still like (some of) the ideas behind it,
I've lost my belief in it.

For (large) development groups with a strict company policy and control/guidance and dedicated
attention to maintaining maven repositories and keeping poms in sync, maven may still be the
best
way to go. But, you better have maximum to absolute control over users environments then.
And, as David Taylor also mentioned, you must be willing to sacrifice good IDE support for
debugging and testing.

I do belief others are getting good results with maven. For one of my clients this is indeed
the case (even with maven-1). But I expect most will be in a situation as I described above.

In all other situations my experience with maven has been negative or very negative.
It has been a very big productivity loss in numerous occasions for me, especially when trying
to deal
with the plugin and custom J2 setups.

Until now, Randy only ported the static part of our maven-1 environment.
Even that hasn't been easy and already needs dirty workarounds to get that far.

But I think the most important build features J2 should provide are simple configuration,
build and deployment
for custom portals. And  especially that type of customization is, and in my opinion will
remain, the biggest
problem with maven. The J2 customization we currently provide with maven-1 is rather crude
and full of issues.

If I believed maven-2 would allow us to solve our customization wishes and make this easy
and transparently
to use, I would now vote for spending more time on it.

Well, I don't.

I expect we will still need to write custom "goals", ant build script, or whatever to be called
by
or "hacked" into the maven-2 build process as we're doing today with horrendous maven.xml/plugin
jelly code.

Ate