From "Ender KILICOGLU" <en...@kilicoglu.nom.tr>
Subject RE: [VOTE] J2 Bulid: Ant vs. Maven
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:44:15 GMT
Hello everyone
Long time ago I started to use jetspeed and follow improvement. I am still
using maven and ant development but still I am having problem on jetspeed2
builds. I completly agree David (Sean Talor) about maven problems. Ant much
more easier to use. Jetspeed is a open source project and build environment
must be newbie friendly. So they will have courage to involve. But now it
require addtional knowledge and experience. Its to late to talk about but I
have same feelings about svn too :)

So
+1 Ant

Scincerely
Ender KILICOGLU

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Watler [mailto:watler@wispertel.net]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 8:42 PM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: [VOTE] J2 Bulid: Ant vs. Maven

All,

We now have a marginal Maven2 build that is capable of building J2 and
installing on Tomcat. While it has been fun reinventing the wheel for the
Nth time, it is time to get serious about the J2 build. Here are the

1. Continue on with Maven1/J2 plugin.
2. Step up and complete the Maven2 build and create an archetype to replace
the genapp capabilities.
3. Ditch maven and go with Ant.

We need to vote on this before I or anyone else puts more sunk time into the
build. Here are some of the issues:

1. Ant is simple and everyone understands it.
2. Maven1 and the plugin are not stable and are generally complex.
3. Maven2 has simplified things in some ways, but made them more complex in
other ways with the pom.xml inheritance and transitive dependencies.
4. Ant build.xml files can become unmanageable.
5. Maven2 may not be sufficiently mature for our use; we have encountered
several bugs and have used some ugly workarounds for even our simple build
cases handled to date.
6. J2 users have not been exposed to maven, and it can become a liability
quickly since they expect Ant like builds.
7. All IDEs, including Eclipse, can natively build Ant based projects.
8. When the BSR or other repos are down, the Maven offline builds are
hopeless.
9. The training/learning curve with maven is hurting acceptance of the
J2 portal solution.
10. The repository in Maven2 will become even more difficult to manage with
the transitive dependencies: in the end, we will be forced to manage our own
repository and all of the J2 users will need to do the same.

I am sure there are more... this is not exactly a new topic for any of us.
We are just at the point where we need to make a final decision that can
stand the test of time... J2 needs our cycles, not the build environment. I
am willing to put more time into the build no matter which way we choose to
go... but not unless there is a consensus on the matter.

Randy