From "David H. DeWolf" <ddew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:07:47 GMT

David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Raphaƫl Luta wrote:
>
>> What about simply moving the applications code to a different SVN branch,
>> so that core and apps are checked out separately.
>>
>> It can be either:
>>
>> /portals/jetspeed-2/ -> portal core
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/applications/ ->applications
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>>
>> (2 different checkouts)
>>
>> or
>>
>> /portals/jetspeed-2/
>>     core/
>>         trunk/
>>         branches/
>>         tags/
>>     applications/
>>         trunk
>>         branches/
>>         tags/
>>
>> (either one full checkout or 2 separate checkouts)
>>
>> or even better
>>
>> /portals/components/ -> core portal components
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/applications/ -> useful apps
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/demos/ -> demo stuff
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/jetspeed-2 -> full jetspeed 2 portal
>>     /trunk
>>         svn:externals components /portals/components/trunk
>>         svn:externals applications /portals/applications/trunk
>>         svn:externals bridges /portals/bridges/trunk
>>         svn:externals demos /portals/demos/trunk
>>
>> (ie manage everything in separate hierarchies and tie everything under
>>  jetspeed-2 using svn externals property)
>

> +1
> Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?

+1, Yes.

>> We have many options to try and make jetspeed 2 codebase less
>> intimidating/cumbersome to first-time users/developers.
>> (I like the 3rd approach best if we can make it work as expected as it
>> makes it
>> trivial for other portals efforts to reuse and collaborate on the
>> different
>> components without getting the full J2 package)
>>
> I agree
>

>>> We we're simply trying to give people lots of coding examples using
>>> different Bridges technologies. I think it would be better if we did not
>>> hard code these demo apps into the portal.
>>>
>>> Instead Im recommending the default Jetspeed Portal would be made up of
>>> two webapps:
>>>
>>> 1) the portal itself
>>> 2) the jetspeed admin webapp
>>>
>>> all other webapps would be optional, and not included in the default
>>> deployment.
>>>
>>> I do see the need for an admin portlet, allowing you to download portlet
>>> applications, along with PSML pages, to add to the portal dynamically or
>>> at install time
>>>

>> I can see why you would prefer it like this but we still need to make
>> sure
>> it is easy for newbies / prospective users to download a working portal
>> with enough demo apps to get a feel of what J2 can do for them.
>>
> What if we had two different build goals:
>
> 1. ee  (enterprise edition)
> 2. me  (micro (lightweight) edition)

Just to start to get people thinking (realizing that it may not be time
for this yet. . .)

I think that in the Maven2 world that the approach we'd want to take for
this is to utilize the same goals but with a different "profile".

> This is something like the minDeploy and quickStart goals currently
> existing, but I think it would be more clear to have goals for specific
> configurations, or even app server specific builds:
>
> 1. ee-geronimo-portal
> 2. ee-tomcat-portal
> 3. ee-jetty-portal
> 4. me-geronimo-portal
> 5. me-tomcat-portal
> 6. me-jetty-portal

I'd also like to see an appserver independent build -- perhaps it would
only work for the me version.

> Also remember that we have an installer now, and Ate is working on
> enhancements to that

Yea!