From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject Nested Layouts/Layout Column "sizes" Functionality
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:45:56 GMT
Gang,

I plan on making a few modifications to the 'columns' layout to support
nested layouts and to implement the missing 'sizes' functionality that
allowed columns to be sized in the portlet.xml or layout fragment PSML.

In a nutshell:

1. Remove the fixed width and padding css styles in
src/webapp/decorations/layout/css/standard-columns.css,

2. replace them with dynamically generated style attributes on the <div>
layout tags that are computed using the sizes layout configuration
values,

3. generate unique class names for the one, two, and three column layout
contextual selectors that fail when layouts are nested, and

4. improve appearance of nested column layouts by padding based on left,
middle, and right portlet positions.

I have already modified the Jetspeed Theme and Decorator code to once
again support nested layout portlets. This turns out to be trivial due
to Scott's well thought out designs.

However, the customizer is going to have problems with the nested
layouts this time around, primarily because the layout portlet actions
used to invoke the customizer are now part of the page decorators. I am
not sure how to handle this at the moment, but I will be making a
separate subsequent pass to bring the customizer online for nested
layouts.

All of this is required for me to deploy 2.01, so naturally I'd like to
push these changes into that release.

If you have any objections to what I proposed above or on adding this to
the 2.01 manifest, let me know!

Randy