From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Portlet Menus
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:12:48 GMT
Randy Watler wrote:
> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>
>> Randy Watler wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I am pondering this now... do you want to have any limits on the
>>> portlet sets to be addressed in a page? In other words, do we want to
>>> limit it to a single dynamic portlet per page that can have N single
>>> portlet selections, or do we want to go richer than that and allow
>>> all kinds of named portlet and layout options per page? Soemthing in
>>> between like allowing N dynamic portlets? Just trying to establish
>>> the limits of this facility and when multiple pages should be used
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?

Hmm... this discussion seems to have jumped tracks

>> I would think the 'Dynamic Portlet' is really a layout.
>> And that the layout is a portlet.
>

> Cool. We are really then proposing some kind of Dynamic Layout Portlet
> instead
> of extending the new menu implementation, no? So do you imagine some
> kind of
> selector attribute on the fragment tags nested within the layout portlet
> fragment that
> uses a portlet preference to select 1 to N portlets? Something like this:
>
> <fragment id="0" type="layout" name="jetspeed-layouts::DynamicLayout">
>    <fragment id="0.0" type="portlet" name="myApp:Portlet0">
>        <property layout="DynamicLayout" name="selector" value="view0"/>
>    </fragment>
>    <fragment id="0.1" type="portlet" name="myApp:Portlet1">
>        <property layout="DynamicLayout" name="selector" value="view1"/>
>    </fragment>
> </fragment>
>
> Here I'd expect that this configuration would specify a layout with 2
> settings:
> 'view0' and 'view1', (in that order). I'd imagine that we could use a user
> specific preference or session variable to save the current setting.
> That way,
> we would nto need to maintain the current selection on the url. Of course,
> we could add some kind of url support to allow external references to the
> individual views.
>
> Am I on the right track here?

I think so, yes. Im also thinking that since the dynamic layout is a
portlet, we could track  the selected menu option via the URL using
portlet request parameters

>> In Jetspeed1 we supported nested menus.
>> So you could have card controller inside a card controller inside ...
>

> So in this case, we could have nested Dynamic Layout Portlets, no?
>
>> Regarding multiple pages, I think they can always be used in instead
>> For example you would just have one portlet per page
>

> Right. Complex dynamic pages can always be implemented with some
> combination of individual pages and dynamic portlet.

Guess what Im getting at here is since we can achieve the 'Card
Controller' effect with pages, do we need to support both for 2.0?

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software