From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: Jetspeed-2: Drop support for Tomcat 4...? Please comment/vote!
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:25:11 GMT
+1 on dropping 4.1 support.

Ate Douma wrote:

> Dear developer team and users,
>
> I've been working the last two weeks (off and on) on a new and much
> simplified deployment implementation
> for Jetspeed-2 which builds mainly on official Servlet specification
> (2.3) features.
> See JIRA: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-210
>
> I expect that with this solution, deployment for Application servers
> other than Tomcat will become much easier
> to implement and support.
>
> I've got this working already beautifully on Tomcat 5 (5.0.28) and
> with a few nice side-effects too:
> - the Jetspeed-2 context isn't fixed at /jetspeed any more
> - multiple layout portlet applications can be deployed/used at the
> same time
>   for both see:
>     http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-182
>     http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-172
> - no more temporarily expanded wars in the java.io.tmpdir to
> workaround classloading issues
> - much quicker startup
>
> To be honest, my refactoring isn't finished yet and some features
> currently available will have to be
> reimplemented (differently) like undeployment.
>
> But....
>
> I can't get the redeployment working flawlessly under Tomcat 4.1
> (tested with 4.1.30 and 4.1.31).
> Tomcat 4 won't always release certain jars in deployed applications
> when doing an undeployment or redeployment while this
> is no problem with Tomcat 5.0.
> Furthermore, auto redeployment of war files isn't available at all in
> Tomcat 4: you need to use the TomcatManager
> to remove an existing application first (which sometimes fails) before
> a new application can tried to be deployed
> again.
>
> And then, There are other serious problems with Tomcat 4 too like no
> separate sessions for the portal and portlet applications
> (which is a *serious* security breach and the foremost reason I myself
> won't use Tomcat 4 for Portals anymore).
>
> The Pluto Team won't even use Tomcat 5.0 anymore and require Tomcat
> 5.5.7 or higher because Tomcat 5.0 also has a session bug
> in which a Portlet Application and its Web application don't share the
> same session when invoked independently
> (as they should according to the portlet specification).
>
> Both the development of Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5.0 has largely come to an
> end, except for really nasty bugs, but the onces I
> described above aren't regarded as such by the Tomcat team :-(
>
> Al in all, to me the question right now is: do we really, really need
> to keep supporting Tomcat 4.
> For my deployment refactorings it poses a problem I don't have time
> left to further investigate (nor do I have any hope it
> *can* be resolved). As long as we need to support Tomcat 4, I can't
> commit my changes...
>
> I'd like to hear from both team members and users who absolutely
> require Tomcat 4 support for Jetspeed-2 and why.
> And, if there are no big objections, I'd like to vote on dropping
> [...]

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *