From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Portlet...??
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:54:13 GMT
mohanad al-shayeb wrote:
> Hellow guys,
>
> I did compile JetSpeed2 and used Tomcat 5.0.28 (to get rid of db
> problems :(  ). Anyway I would be really greatful for your answers for
> the followign Qs:
>
> 1. I want to recompile the demo.war with Maven. I do not know how to do
> that?

cd applications/demo
maven war

> 2. If i want to add a new portlet, what are the neccessary steps i need
> to do that?

assuming you want to put this portlet in the demo portlet app (i guess)

1. write the portlet, or extend an existing one
2. add a <portlet> entry the demo's portlet.xml
3. build it, test it
4. redeploy the demo PA:

maven deploy

> 3. Each time i start tomcat! I takes alot of time to startup (after
> adding the JetSpeed2)? Anyway to accelrate it?

yes
there are quite a few portlet applications in the demo
for each portlet application, tomcat has to load the entire webapp's
classloader. this is time consuming.

many of the jars in the portlet applications are used in every portlet
application. you could try moving some of the common jars into the
shared/lib area of tomcat, this would drastically increase the loadup
time since things like commons-logging wouldn't be loaded into 8
different class loaders. (this may cause some new problems with cross
context dispatching...)

one thing i do during development is only work with the webapps (portlet
apps) that im working with. that way i don't have to wait for the
startup time of apps im not even using

during dev, i try not to shutdown tomcat, instead i drop in the portlet
app and have tomcat redeploy it automatically

also look at the maven goal minStart in the root project

> 4. If I update the portlet while the portal is running , will JetSpeed
> update or i should restart Tomcat?

if you redeploy the portlet app, you shouldn't have to restart Tomcat

hth,

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software