From Mike Douglass <dou...@rpi.edu>
Subject portal-struts bridge problems
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:43:25 GMT
I've been working to turn some struts application into portlets using
the jetspeed2 portal-struts bridge.

I've run into a couple of problems, one of which I managed to work
around, the other is more difficult.

First the applications are a suite of struts applications, the uw
calendar in fact,

an admin tool - just struts and jsp
two user clients, identical except one is authenticated for personal
events, one unauthenticated for public events.

The user clients use the struts framework and jsp to generate xml and
use an xslt filter to generate ical, html whatever - but normally html.

All work standalone.

Problem 1.
In the bridge the admin client eventually worked. The user clients would
not work until I appended

<% pageContext.getOut().flush(); %>

to the jsp. The behaviour I was seeing was either no data or 8k of
truncated data - 8k being the default buffer size for the page context.

It's a relatively trivial problem but I guess the servlet container
flushes before returning to the filter.

After that each application works by itself in the portal.

Problem 2.
More difficult. Because these use a common framework, there are a number
of session attributes with the same name. The attributes for each
application collide.

I tried various work rounds but none are succesful for one reason or
another.

I assume that the attributes sould really be stored in the PORTLET_SCOPE
(PLT.15.3) but I'm not sure how to make that work in the bridge.

I did try adding a filter which wrapped the HttpSession and prefixed the
attribute names. This failed very rapidly as the TagUtil class uses the
pageContext to locate attributes and I suspect that is set up before the
filter so it was looking for the unprefixed name.

Is there any way I can work round this?

--

Mike Douglass                           douglm@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer