From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject Declarative or Modal Page Layout Navigation?
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:15:02 GMT
Team,

David and I have been discussing potential options to the current
profiler/page-manager generated page layout navigations. While what we
have seems to be fairly powerful and flexible, it also seems to be too
complex and/or scalable for use by many users. It often raises questions
on the lists and certainly does not seem self documenting!

We have discussed implementing a declarative navigation definition,
(i.e. J1 menus), that could be specified globally or at the folder
level. We have also pondered some modal configuration settings/hints to
the existing solution that correspond to different navigational styles,
(i.e. relative forward/back navigation as we currently have, constant
navigation elements that reflect the physical folder structures, logical
view specifications like document sets, etc.). Obviously, changes to
support these different modes would also involve modifications to the
various velocity layout templates. Related efforts might include support
for javascript pull down menus or other portal navigation interfaces.

I would like to get input from the team on whether it is time to
consider such an effort and indeed what the effort should look like and
include. Any and all input will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy