From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Sertlet & J2 services
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:32:34 GMT
Christophe Lombart wrote:

> Is it possible to access to a J2 service from a servlet ?

yes

PortletServices services = JetspeedPortletServices.getSingleton();
  services.getService(serviceName);

> I'm building a Graffito Browser portlet which display documents,
> folders, .... in the view mode and in the edit mode gives the
> possibility to edit documents, change the security settings, upload
> docs, ...
> When I click on a binary document (like a PDF, Ms word doc, ...) in this
> portlet, I want to use a servlet which send to the client browser the
> document stream (like a classic HTTP GET).
> All Graffito components are J2 services. So, This servlet has to access

I actually have a servlet that does this in my graffito app, although
its not going thru Jetspeed services but Spring, it would be easy enough
to replace the getBean with a getService call:

response) throws IOException, ServletException
{
   String uri = request.getParameter("uri");

   ContentModelService cms =(ContentModelService)
          SpringAccessor.getBean("cmsModelImpl");

   Document doc = cms.getDocument(uri);
   response.setContentType(doc.getContentType());

   drain(doc.getContent().getContentStream(),
          response.getOutputStream());

 > to a Graffito J2 service. Is it possible ? What d you think about this
 > kind of design ?

I think its fine, but we need to ensure that secure access is enforced.
The one thing I don't like is that by using a servlet we are not
enforcing portal security.

If the cms.getDocument call was integrated with portal security, perhaps
that would work.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software