From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] New PAM/Deployer
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:45:35 GMT
This statement nailed!

>A previously deployed and registered app left in webapps will be
>registered automatically once by jetspeed on startup and once again by the
>app itself on JetspeedContainerServlet init. I think this situation is
>less than optimal since a race condition could surface between these two
>registration attempts... but I doubt that it is causing you problems at
>this point since it seems rare. Bottom line is that I do not see how the
>pam application left in webapps but not in the jetspeed deploy directory
>is causing problems. Perhaps you have an old version of the pam webapp
>that was not infused in the webapps directory? Still, that does not
>explain the redeploy PAM invocation...

The app in question was deployed prior to the new portlet
self-registration logic you added to the container servlet hence it
never tried to register itself.   Thanks for your insight Randy.

watler@wispertel.net wrote:

>Scott:
>
>More comments below....
>

>>Scott....
>>
>>Thanks for the feedback. I think I understand the scenario.
>>

>I take this back. I am not sure how an app can be both unknown to J2 and
>be the subject of a redeploy event/PAM invocation. Can you elaborate? Is
>there a deployer bug underlying all of this?
>

>>Let me look
>>at it for a bit here... I am wondering why we are in the redeploy() case
>>at all if the application was not previously known to J2? Initially,
>>this seems like a deployer issue to me rather than a PAM shortcoming.
>>

>I have added a similar test to this in DeployPortletAppListener. Please
>review and let me know if it is equivalent from your perspective.
>Basically, I am claiming that if someone is invoking *PAM.redeploy(), they
>are expecting an unregister and a subsequent deploy.
>

>>>reason being that it appears that if an app is deployed in the app
>>>server but not in jetspeed, the app is never registered to jetspeed.
>>>

>Not really. If you drop in an infused app into the container's webapps
>directory, it will be registered via the JetspeedContainerServlet on init.
>This is one of the advantages of this approach.
>

>>>I added a simple check that if we were  trying to redeploy an app that
>>>exists in the container but not in jetspeed we just do a full deploy
>>>instead.
>>>

>Again, this confuses me, (sorry I am being so dense here). If an app is
>simply in the container's webapps directory, as opposed to the jetspeed
>WEB-INF/deploy directory, how did it ever get involved with the deployer?
>

>>>Does this make sense?  I was having issues redploying my custom portal
>>>that uses the "pam" app for the LocaleSelector however, the deployment
>>>of the portal DOES NOT remove the pam app from tomcat, hence the issue
>>>I have outlined above rearing its head.
>>>

>A previously deployed and registered app left in webapps will be
>registered automatically once by jetspeed on startup and once again by the
>app itself on JetspeedContainerServlet init. I think this situation is
>less than optimal since a race condition could surface between these two
>registration attempts... but I doubt that it is causing you problems at
>this point since it seems rare. Bottom line is that I do not see how the
>pam application left in webapps but not in the jetspeed deploy directory
>is causing problems. Perhaps you have an old version of the pam webapp
>that was not infused in the webapps directory? Still, that does not
>explain the redeploy PAM invocation...
>

>>> Adding the above logic seemed
>>>to fix this for me.
>>>

>Like I said above, I echoed this modification in the deployer portlet app
>listener. Hopefully, this will be an equivalent patch. I'd still like to
>understand more about your custom deployment so that I can make sure other
>bugs like this are found.
>
>Thanks again Scott... talk to you in the morning. :)

> [...]

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *