From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject [J2] New PAM/Deployer
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:23:44 GMT
I have committed a new PAM/deployer implementation that uses the
deploy-tool component to infuse portlet application war files for J2.
This is being done in an attempt to simplify the deployment process and
make it more reliable. Please bear with me on this change... I need
feedback from all of you on how the new approach fairs in your environment.

This implementation, (WarInfusionPAM), eliminates the requirement to
have the Tomcat manager web application in place and all of the
associated configuration options. Instead, this PAM places WAR files,
(or expanded webapp directories and context.xml file sin the case of
Tomcat4), in the container target webapps directory. The assumption is
that the container will support "auto", "live" or "hot" deployment of
some sort. When the portlet application webapp is loaded, it uses the
JetspeedContainerServlet.init() invocation to register the portlet
application in the webapp with the PAM implementation. Hopefully, there
will no longer be a need to specialize deployment implementations per
container.

I have left the preexisting deployer option in place,
(ApplicationServerPAM), so you should be able to roll back the PAM
implementation if you run into problems. You will need to comment out
the WarInfusionPAM bean and uncomment the ApplicationServerPAM and
TomcatManager bean entries.

There is one option that can be set in the spring configuration of
WarInfusionPAM to control whether the PAM interacts with the webapps
directory  using expanded webapps directories or with war files. By
default, it uses expanded webapps if a context.xml file is found in the
webapps directory, (i.e. jetspeed and jetspeed.xml). Setting the boolean
field value in jetspeed-spring.xml forces the selected mode.

At the moment, there is a problem with undeploy/redeploy on Windows
platforms. I believe this is due to file read locks on the WEB-INF/lib
jar files, possibly others. I am currently working on a solution and/or
workaround for this problem.

Randy