From Scott Heaberlin <heabd...@gmail.com>
Subject J2 Struts Bridge NullPointer when portal page viewed
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:06:00 GMT
Hello all -

I can configure and deploy an existing tiles app within J2
(/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy) and view / use the application in tomcat at
its non-portlet context (eg, /webapp). However, whenever I request a
.psml with a fragment that contains the struts portlet configured for
the app, I get a NullPointerException at line 217 (latest cvs head) of
 JetspeedContainerServlet.

For the longest time I was unable to get the app to work in either
context (portal vs webapp), but I was *finally* able to at least run
the app deployed by J2 but requested at the web context root. To do
so, I had to remove my <request-processor> elements in the
struts-config-module.xml files and just letting StrutsPortlet notice
the TilesPlugin usage and configure TilesPortletRequestProcessor on
its own.  The only thing I gain from this is the ability to run the
app at the direct webapp context.  When viewing the app via
strutsportlet, I get the following stack trace that has hounded me
since day one with this Tiles-app-in-J2 quest.

web.xml snippets:

    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <!--<servlet-class>org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet</servlet-class>-->
    <servlet-class>org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.PortletServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
    	<!-- jgossip module-->
      <param-name>config/jgossip</param-name>
      <param-value>/WEB-INF/struts-config-jgossip.xml</param-value>
    </init-param>
  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>/tags/struts-html</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-1.2.4-portlet-html-0.2.tld</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

struts-config-jgossip.xml snippet:
     <!-- let StrutsPortlet figure out the req processor -->
     <!--
     <controller pagePattern="$M$P"
                 inputForward="true"

processorClass="org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.PortletTilesRequestProcessor"/>
     -->
	<plug-in className="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesPlugin">
		<set-property property="definitions-config"
value="/WEB-INF/tiles-defs-jgossip.xml"/>
		<set-property property="moduleAware" value="true"/>
		<set-property property="definitions-parser-validate" value="true"/>
	</plug-in>

portlet.xml snippet:
<portlet-app id="jgossip" version="1.0">
  <portlet id="JGossipPortlet">
    <init-param>
      <name>ServletContextProvider</name>
      <value>org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.ServletContextProviderImpl</value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <name>ViewPage</name>
      <value>/jgossip/jgossip</value>
    </init-param>
    <portlet-name>JGossipPortlet</portlet-name>
    <display-name>JGossip Forum Portlet</display-name>
    <description>This is the JGossip forum portlet</description>
    <portlet-class>org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.StrutsPortlet</portlet-class>
    <expiration-cache>-1</expiration-cache>
      <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
      <portlet-mode>VIEW</portlet-mode>
    </supports>

struts-portlet-config.xml:
Note: All I am wanting to do at this point is to view the first URL,
which performs a login action and redirects, which seems to fit in
with Ate's Struts Bridge doc recommendations.  I have tried changing
the portlet-url-type default attrib from 'render' to 'action' and have
the same result with both.
<config>
  <render-context>
    <attribute name="errors"/>
    <attribute name="message"/>
  </render-context>
  <portlet-url-type default="action">
  </portlet-url-type>

Again, viewing in the deployed web root works - the app runs as normal.
Viewing within J2 yields the following *every* time:

2005-02-01 01:58:17 StandardContext[/jgossip]JetspeedContainerServlet:
Error rendering JetspeedContainerServlet error page:
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet.doGet(JetspeedContainerServlet.java:217)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:704)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:590)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:510)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.container.invoker.ServletPortletInvoker.invoke(ServletPortletInvoker.java:213)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.container.invoker.ServletPortletInvoker.render(ServletPortletInvoker.java:124)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.AopProxyUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopProxyUtils.java:61)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:142)
	at $Proxy10.render(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.pluto.PortletContainerImpl.renderPortlet(PortletContainerImpl.java:103)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedPortletContainerWrapper.renderPortlet(JetspeedPortletContainerWrapper.java:88)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.RenderingJob.execute(RenderingJob.java:108)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.PortletRendererImpl.renderNow(PortletRendererImpl.java:103)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.PageAggregatorImpl.aggregateAndRender(PageAggregatorImpl.java:261)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.PageAggregatorImpl.aggregateAndRender(PageAggregatorImpl.java:244)
	at org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.impl.PageAggregatorImpl.build(PageAggregatorImpl.java:148)
many more lines here

Any thoughts?  I'd appreciate any further insight.  I'm really getting
frustrated with this - especially since I'm now able to reap the
advantages of the latest Struts Bridge (eg running as normal within
the normal deployment context).

Thanks,

--

-Scott