From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Major new version of the Struts Bridge: version 0.2 now available
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:59:30 GMT
Awesome!!!  Great job, Ate!!!

Ate Douma wrote:

> I'm happy to bring the news of a major upgrade of the Struts Bridge.
>
> A short summary of its new features:
> - Based on the latest Struts-1.2.4
>
> - Provides new struts-1.2.4-portlet-html.tld and
> struts-1.2.4-portlet-html-el.tld, as
>   well as a new struts-portlet-el.tld.
>   The first two tld files are full replacements for the struts-html
> and struts-html-el tlds.
>   By using these tlds instead of the struts-portlet and
> struts-portlet-el tlds, migrating
>   existing Struts applications becomes much easier (just change the
> taglib definition).
>   Furthermore, there is now full struts-el support Bridge for all the
> tags (including the
>   new onces).
>
> - New Portlet supporting extended Struts tags ImgTag and ImageTag and
> largely extended
>   LinkTag and RewriteTag.
>   These tags now support relative image src paths and href link
>   paths (including ../ elements).
>
> - Provides transparent (non-code based) definition of request
> attribute values to be saved
>   during ActionRequest handling which will be restored in the
> subsequent RenderRequest(s).
>
> - Provides transparent (non-code based) definition of url (prefixes)
> which must be
>   rendered as Action or Render PortletURL.
>   This removes the need to specify the renderURL attribute for link
> and rewrite tags (its
>   still supported though, and then will override).
>
> - xml based configuration of above two features loaded at Portlet
> initialization.
>   Default configuration file name: WEB-INF/struts-portlet-config.xml,
> but this is
>   configurable itself as well.
>   Example configuration (from the new JPetstore demo Portlet):
>     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>         <config>
>         <render-context>
>         <attribute name="errors"/>
>         <attribute name="message"/>
>       </render-context>
>       <portlet-url-type default="render">
>         <action path="/shop/add"/>
>         <action path="/shop/switch"/>
>         <action path="/shop/remove"/>
>         <action path="/shop/signoff"/>
>         <action path="/shop/viewCategory"/>
>         <action path="/shop/viewItem"/>
>         <action path="/shop/viewProduct"/>
>         <action path="/shop/viewCart"/>
>         <action path="/shop/newOrder"/>
>         <render path="/shop/newOrderForm"/>
>         <action path="/shop/listOrders"/>
>       </portlet-url-type>
>     </config>
>
> - IMPORTANT:
>   Default PorletURL created by link and rewrite tag changed from
> ActionURL to RenderURL.
>
>   This change is made because in the most cases this turned out to be
> RenderURLs.
>
>   For migrating of existing Struts Bridge based Portlets to the new
> version there is an
>   very simple configuration option to revert this to the old style:

> [...]

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *