From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: [J2] Vote: Torque schema generation problems - how to proceed?
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:22:54 GMT
Ate,

I think we should evaluate commons SQL before we jump into any
re-development, unless of course you have already looked at it ;-)

Ate Douma wrote:

> Team,
>
> Today, I dived into our usage of torque and what we are getting from it.
> I didn't really know torque yet, but I was dismayed by what I
> encountered and how it is affecting
> the way we are configuring J2 right now.
> The problems with drop table statements and foreign key violations we
> have had recently (and still have)
> are really caused by the current (lack of) functionality of torque and
> its quirks.
>
> After reviewing the velocity scripts used by torque, I can see these
> are easily fixable.
> But, it'll require heavy changes to them and therefore I'm not so sure
> the torque team would quickly accept them.
>
> I would like to propose to create and maintain our own set of torque
> scripts instead of using the packaged ones.
> Because of the way torque processes these scripts, this will mean we
> need to maintain *all* of the torque-sql scripts:
> only supplying those which need to be changed won't do.
>
> Maybe, after some time, our versions of these scripts can be
> incorporated back into torque, but that I don't find
> too important right now. I would like to get rid of several
> workarounds and auxiliary sql scripts we currently have
> to use just to get things working:
> - no need anymore for several drop goals and drop scripts
> - no need anymore for special instructions to get an initial
> installation on Oracle, nor post processing
> the oracle sql scripts to strip out unwanted drop statements
> - no need anymore for manual table creation on Oracle when a new table
> is added (no automatic solution possible)
>
> Whats more, I would also like to get rid of all the different
> populate-userinfo-for-default-psml.sql variants.
> I looked into the capabilities (capability also being another issue
> with torque it seems on sybase: a reserved word)
> of torque on transforming data xml to sql. Well, don't hold your
> breath: it won't do right now.
>
> Although the schema xml parsing engine is nice enough as it is, other
> than that I really don't see much added value
> for J2 as we also don't use the Peer functionality (which takes up by
> far the biggest part of its codebase).
>
> What I really would like to see is an new/rewritten/forked torque
> implementation, only used for schema and (proper) data xml
> parsing which can both generate sql and/or perform direct sql/jdbc
> execution on the fly.
> Then we can provide schema installation (and upgrades! using version
> attributes in the xml) at runtime (optionally of course).
> New, but still missing tables, constraints, configuration data, et
> cetera could be created only when needed.
>
> I don't think this would be very hard, nor too much work to provide
> using (only a small part of) the current torque codebase
> as starting point. If we would agree on this path, I'm more than
> willing to put in time realizing this goal.
>
> Of course, I've been searching the net today for alternatives capable
> [...]

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *