From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Vote: Torque schema generation problems - how to proceed?
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:41:32 GMT
Ate Douma wrote:

>> So, I'd like to call a vote on the following proposals:
>> - maintain our own torque-sql scripts:
>
>     [X]
>
>> - provide our own data xml to sql (torque based) scripts:
>
>     [X]
>
>> - (re)write our own database config engine based on torque allowing
>> runtime schema/data installation/upgrade:
>
>    [X]

I think we should take up Henning's offer and try to get the scripts
working with the help of the Torque team.

Just to recap, here are some of the issues Im aware of are:

1. FK dependency order. The scripts need to be generated in an order
such that FK dependencies are resolved and that the dependent tables are
  deleted before the referenced tables, and the referenced tables are
created before the referencing tables. The way Torque currently
generates scripts, this seems to be a catch-22:

if TABLE exists drop it
create table

One solution is  to do the drops and creates in two separate scripts

2. The Oracle scripts do not generate "IF TABLE EXISTS DROP" requiring a
special case for Oracle.

3. We require hand-coded data population scripts specific to each
database that vary slightly. AFAIK, Torque only deals with DDL and not
data manipulation i.e. INSERT statements.