From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: J2 autodeployment.catalina.base jetspeed.properties setting
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:58:15 GMT
Randy Watler wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I use JPackage RPM installs for tomcat4 and tomcat5 on Linux. Over the
> last day or two, I have been struggling to get a clean startup on
> tomcat5. After I eliminated all of my stupid user tricks, I was able
> to get everything to deploy cleanly only after customizing the setting
> of autodeployment.catalina.base in
> jetspeed.properties/override.properties. The reason this is necessary
> is that the default setting, ${applicationRoot}/../../, does not
> resolve to the base tomcat5 install directory that contains conf,
> (primarily due to copious use of symbolic links and the relocation of
> config files to /etc on Linux). The deployer requires access to this
> directory to install the security.xml file in conf/Catalina/localhost.
>
> I'd like to propose setting the autodeployment.catalina.base property
> from the org.apache.jetspeed.server.home customized build.properties
> setting. In development, this could be integrated into
> portal/maven.xml as is done with the other autodeployment properties.
> Of course, this will definitely kill the property-less install goal.
>
> We could also apply some kind of search path specification there as
> well, (i.e. '${applicationRoot}/../../,
> /etc/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/,
> /usr/share/tomcat${autodeployment.catalina.version.major}/, c:/Program
> Files/Tomcat/'), that would work for most common deployments.
>
> If this were only a production issue, I'd just set the property in
> override.properties and be done with it. However, my primary concern
> is for development ease of use.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, sounds good to me.

> Randy

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *