From Randy Watler <rwat...@finali.com>
Subject RE: ProfiledPageContext caching
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 05:20:17 GMT
Scott/David,

So I have added the CastorXmlPageManager to the underlying FileCache
listeners and have managed some degree of success in reaping the page
context caches. However, I am trying to optimize the operation of
CastorXmlPageManager cache eviction by using the last accessed time of the
FileCacheEntry and comparing that to the page context creation times in the
cache. The idea is to eliminate the complete dumping of the cache without
performing complex dependency tracking and tests.

Anyway, I am not sure if the approach is sound or not yet, but it appears
that the last accessed time of the cache elements is not being updated when
elements are referenced. Obviously, my algorithm relies on this happening
and it would seem that the LRU features of the FileCache require this
information as well.

I thought I'd check to see if you had any input or insight into this before
I went ahead and had the various page manager documents and associated
handlers set the last access times. I do not plan to support fine grain
access tracking. Instead, I was just going to register PageManager level
accesses; in other words, I was not going to consider rendering of a page or
navigational document to be an access.

Thoughts?

Randy