portals-jetspeed-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Scott T. Weaver" <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject Re: inaccurate information on gridsphere site
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:05:23 GMT
Okay, here it is in HTML (oops).  Again, feel free to add.

Portlet Container Feature: 	GridSphere 	Jakarta Jetspeed
Open source and free 	Yes 	Yes
JSR 168 compliant 	Yes 	Yes
Support for localization 	Yes 	Yes
Support for some kind of Role Based Access Control (RBAC) 	Yes 	Yes
Support for third-party portlet packaging and deployment (JSR 168) 	Yes 	No
Template project build support for the creation of new portlet web 
applications 	Yes 	No
Support for "portlet service" model for the development of services to 
perform portlet business logic 	Yes 	Yes
Ability to customise user layouts including tabs, adding and removing 
portlets, etc. 	Yes 	Yes
Ability to customise themes 	Yes 	Yes
Template-based layouts including JSP 	Yes 	Yes
Custom tag library for creating higher level visual components 	Yes 	Yes
Integration with Veolicty, Cocoon, WebMacro and Velocity so that you can 
develop with the newest XML/XSL technology. 	No 	Yes
XML based configuration registry of portlets 	Yes 	Yes
Persistence Service available to all portlets to easily store state per 
user, page and portlet 	Yes 	Yes
Fully portable across all platforms that support JDK 1.2 and Servlet 
2.2 	Yes 	J2 and J1.6 require 1.4.2_05 and higher.
Persistence Service available to all portlets to easily store state per 
user, page and portlet 	Yes 	Yes
Integrated unit testing 	Yes 	Of Course!
Built on using a modular, IoC container. 	No
	Yes
Easily AoP to any individual component or service 	No
	Yes
Inetegrated support for JAAS based security 	No
	Yes
Embeddable engine 	No
	Yes
Full implenmentation of the java.util.prefs to support portlet 
preferences. 	No
	Yes



Scott T. Weaver wrote:

> My corrections/additions.  Please, everyone feel free to add to the 
> list :)
>
> Portlet Container Feature:     GridSphere     Jakarta Jetspeed
> Open source and free     Yes     Yes
> JSR 168 compliant     Yes     Yes
> Support for localization     Yes     Yes
> Support for some kind of Role Based Access Control (RBAC)     Yes     Yes
> Support for third-party portlet packaging and deployment (JSR 168)     
> Yes     Yes
> Template project build support for the creation of new portlet web 
> applications     Yes     Yes (via Maven)
> Support for "portlet service" model for the development of services to 
> perform portlet business logic     Yes     Yes
> Ability to customise user layouts including tabs, adding and removing 
> portlets, etc.     Yes     Yes
> Ability to customise themes     Yes     Yes
> Template-based layouts including JSP     Yes     Yes
> Custom tag library for creating higher level visual components     
> Yes     Yes
> Integration with Veolicty, Cocoon, WebMacro and Velocity so that you 
> can develop with the newest XML/XSL technology.     No     Yes
> XML based configuration registry of portlets     Yes     Yes
> Persistence Service available to all portlets to easily store state 
> per user, page and portlet     Yes     Yes
> Fully portable across all platforms that support JDK 1.2 and Servlet 
> 2.2     Yes     J2 and J1.6 require 1.4.2_05 and higher.
> Persistence Service available to all portlets to easily store state 
> per user, page and portlet     Yes     Yes
> Integrated unit testing     Yes     Of Course!
> Built on using a modular, IoC container.
>     No
>     Yes, Spring 1.1.1
> Easily AoP to any individual component or service
>     No
>     Yes
> Inetegrated support for JAAS based security
>     No
>     Yes
> Embeddable engine
>     No
>     Yes
> Full implenmentation of the java.util.prefs to support portlet 
> preferences.
>     No
>     Yes
>
>
>
>
> Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>
>> Did you send them an email asking them to rectify the comparison chart?
>>
>> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.gridsphere.org/gridsphere/gridsphere?cid=comparison&JavaScript=enabled

>>>
>>>
>>> Just want to point out that the table is inaccurate:
>>>
>>> * Jetspeed does support localization.
>>> * We do support third-party packaging and deployment (JSR 168) in 
>>> 1.6 and 2.0
>>> * We do have intergrated unit testing
>>> * Jetspeed does have a service model
>>> * Jetspeed does have a custom tag library (and velocity tools)
>>>
>>> Not sure why the Gridsphere people have a need to lie about these 
>>> things, but it does make one question their integrity
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


-- 
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  -
Admiral Hyman Rickover

*******************************************
*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <weaver@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
* --------------------------------------  *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
*                                         *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *
*******************************************


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message