From David Jencks <djen...@apache.org>
Subject jetspeed 2 build organization suggestions
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:00:08 GMT
I have been reviewing the jetspeed 2 build process and believe it could
be improved in several areas.

1. using maven features appropriately within the current project
structure.  For instance, it appears to me that using the multiproject
plugin instead of the reactor can replace about 236 lines with 2 in the
top level maven.xml file.

2. restructuring the project to eliminate conditionals and clarify
dependencies.  Currently the build appears to be oriented entirely
toward deploying on tomcat, and from my brief review this appears to
permeate many areas of the project.  I suggest removing all such
dependencies from  current build files and creating a new set of
modules for each installation environment,

installation/tomcat
installation/weblogic
installation/geronimo

that will customize as appropriate for the target environment and
provide appropriate installation tools.

Similarly, I think it might be advisable to factor out the database
setup support into separate modules such as

installation/database/hsqldb
installation/database/oracle

I have not yet discovered to what extent the persistence support is
pluggable, but if for instance you are using ojb via its jdo support
the choice of jdo vendor and appropriate setup could also be isolated
in separate modules.

I'd like to know if there are objections to this approach before I
spend a significant amount of time experimenting with it.

Many thanks,
david jencks