From Damien Byrne <dby...@integria.co.uk>
Subject Re: Request for a little help evaluating Jetspeed
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:16:36 GMT
Hi Scott,  Thanks for replying so quickly.

If I may then summerise what you said (just to see if it filtered into
my coffee ravaged brain :-) you seem to be indicating that whichever I
choose, it should be a CVS version?  I have set up a test deployment of
the 1.5 binary release and it seems to have problems refreshing rss
feeds and now seems to be messing up the icons and graphics
intermittantly (more off than on though).  Also, all the feeds that were
pre-cached in the war, seem to be from 2002, does that mean that the
binary version is quite out of date in terms of updates and fixes?  So
if I want to use 1.x version, it should be CVS?

Next that Jetspeed 2 is pretty much feature complete (barring beta
testing bugs etc) from the backend/engine point of view, but doesn't
have the non-xml editing/non-techie users administration console?  I
assume then that the 1.x CVS copy has a similar admin console to the 1.5
binary, maybe even a bit improved?  How lacking is 2 CVS to 1.x CVS?  I
assume the 1.x CVS still needs maven to deploy portlet wars?

Finally, if I were to go with Jetspeed2, how relevant are the portlet
creation tutorials from Jetspeed1 and could you recomend any online or
printed resources on developing jetspeed2 portals?  I believe that IBM
websphere portal is based on jetspeed to some degree, would any of the
IBM developer guides be of use, or is websphere too diverged from jetspeed?

Thanks again.

Damien.