From Damien Byrne <dby...@integria.co.uk>
Subject Request for a little help evaluating Jetspeed
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:40:49 GMT
Hello all

Another newbie for the world of Jetspeed here.  I'm evaluating using
Jetspeed to build an internal portal to deliver small corporate
applications (little simple use stuff like an app to track when customer
maintenance contracts expire and stuff like that) as well as hopefully
hooking into supplier systems to view orders and delivery tracking
etc... your usual kind of enterprise portal stuff.

Others in my company are pushing for getting Websphere Portal Express,
but I'd like to go the open source route.  What I'd like to know is
which version of Jetspeed should I be looking at?  I see that my main
choices are 1.5 binary war file, 1.5 from CVS and 2 from CVS.  Which of
these is the most usable and reliable (usable is probably the most
important).  At this point I am leaning toward looking at 2 as it claims
to support the Sun Java Portlet API, meaning that if I developed for it
and we switched to Websphere, I would have less problems porting over my
portlets.  How complete is the support for the SJPAPI?

Also, one of the big reasons that Websphere is being looked at, is
obviously the integration between the server and their Websphere Studio
applications, is Jetspeed able to integrate with any of the big Java
ides, probably in particular NetBeans and / or Eclipse?  Would either of
these have any deployment modules available for them?  I noticed mention
of an Eclipse plug-in on this page:
http://wiki.apache.org/portals/Jetspeed_2d2/RoadMap but nothing else.

Also I noticed a post just after I had joined the list asking when
Jetspeed2 might be going beta, I too would like to know that (as
obviously it would spur my decision).

Sorry about the length of this post, I hope someone on the list can take
the time to answer.

Thanks very much.

Damien Byrne
Technical Support Consultant

Integria Solutions
Mercantile Chambers
53 Bothwell Street
Glasgow
G2 6TS

Tel: 0141 222 4900
Mob: 07799 382 001

/"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
Jon Postel/