From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Portals Bridges subprojects created, Struts Portlet Framework moved and refactored
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:36:09 GMT
After the long discussion on this list and the general portals list concerning
my proposal for Portlet Frameworks the outcome is that we will opt for creating
a new Portals subproject in which we will host these "frameworks" under the name
  "Bridges".

These bridges will use as base package name: org.apache.portals.bridges.
Furthermore, for JSP taglibs the base uri portals.apache.org/bridges/ will be used.
Finally, the maven artifacts created for the bridges will use portals-bridges as
groupId and portals-bridges-<framework>-<version> as artifactId.

Because the subproject isn't created yet (and first will have to be approved by
the Portals PMC) the current Struts Portlet Framework (and soon the Perl and PHP
applications) will for the time being be stored in the J2 cvs repository.

For this, I created a new J2 portals-bridges subfolder to which the current
Struts Portlet Framework has been moved with as new base package
org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.

The SPI for this framework now is part of the bridges common (maven) subproject
and renamed from StrutsServletContextProvider to the more generic
ServletContextProvider.

Required changes for anymore building on the now "old" Struts Portlet Framework:
- project.xml:
   dependency change from struts-portlet:struts-portlet-spi-0.1.jar to
     portals-bridges:portal-bridges-common-0.1.jar
   dependency change from struts-portlet:struts-portlet-0.1.jar to
     portals-bridges:portal-bridges-struts-0.1.jar
- web.xml:
   action servlet class change from org.apache.struts.portlet.StrutsServlet to
     org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.PortletServlet
- portlet.xml:
   portlet class change from org.apache.struts.portlet.StrutsPortlet to
     org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.StrutsPortlet
   portlet init parameter ServletContextProvider value change (for J2 users) from
     org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.StrutsServletContextProviderImpl to
     org.apache.jetspeed.portlet.ServletContextProviderImpl

     Note: for non J2 users using a different Impl class please not it now has to
     implement org.apache.portals.bridges.common.ServletContextProvider instead
     of org.apache.struts.portlet.StrutsServletContextProvider
- JSP:
   struts-portlet taglib uri reference change from
     http://struts.apache.org/tags-portlet to
     http://portals.apache.org/bridges/struts/tags-portlet

I've update all references in J2 accordingly.

Finally, I've moved the struts demo application under the applications folder in J2.

Once the new Portals subproject is created the bridges now stored in the J2 cvs
will be moved to there.

Regards, Ate