From Scott T Weaver <scotts-jetspeed-l...@binary-designs.net>
Subject [J2] re/undeployment and portlet entities and user preferences
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:54:26 GMT
I have come to the conclusion through my own experience and through
discussions with other developers here that automatically purging
portlet entities/user prefs on undeployment is a BAD IDEA.

>>From a programmer's standpoint and referential integrity standpoint you
should remove these associations when a portlet definition is removed
from the system.  However, from a real world/usability stand point this
is very bad.  What if someone "accidentally" undeploys a portlet app?
All the user info tied to that app (via prefs) is lost.  I feel a better
approach is to give admins the ability to go in and query for orphaned
entities (those whose app/portlet no longer exists in the system) and
remove them.  Also, to make sure entities connect up to there associated
app across re-deployments, I changed the DB association between entities
and portlets to use app name and portlet name as opposed to the PK of
the portlet def since the PK is transient across redployment.

Please offer your suggestions/criticisms to this approach.

Regards,
*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <weaver@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *