From Dan.Pr...@equifax.com
Subject Re: PortletBrowseAction.java
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:53:35 GMT

Should the group in the portlet registry category entry be tied to the "Groups"
associated with users?  Or should the group attribute be another filter added to
the portlet browser, with a drop-down list?  What's the "expected" behavior based
on the design?  Jeremy Ford said:

"When I wrote the portlet browsing filter functionality, I intentionally set it
up to work this way.  The reason is that is the way the customizer's category
filter has worked in the past.  I did not want to change the behavior of the
customizer filter and did not want to have a filter that did not work the same
way in the portlet browser."

I don't think it can necessarily be called a bug, based on this.

                      David Sean

                      Taylor                   To:      "Jetspeed Developers List" <jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                      <david@bluesunri         cc:

                      se.com>                  Subject: Re: PortletBrowseAction.java

                      06/04/2004 04:25

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Jetspeed

                      Developers List"

On Jun 4, 2004, at 12:25 PM, Dan.Price@equifax.com wrote:

> -- David Sean Taylor wrote:
>
> -- Groups are simply a way to 'group together' categories into, well,
> groups.
> -- The API allows you to filter portlets by group or category or both
> -- There are no real hierarchies, its simply attributes.
>
> Does the "group" attribute on category actually serve any purpose in
> Jetspeed?  As it stands now, it can't be anything other than
> "Jetspeed" if
> you want to filter by category in the PortletBrowser.  Where else does
> this grouping come into play?

Sounds like the PortletBrowser either has a bug or there is a
disconnect between the category API and the PortletBrowser
implementation.
The functionality of groups is supported by the API:

org.apache.jetspeed.om.registry.PortletRegistry.findPortletsByGroupCateg
ory(String group, String category)

This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be confidential and
privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information and note that such
actions are prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify by e-mail postmaster@equifax.com.