From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for Maven dependencies
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:26:39 GMT

On Jun 8, 2004, at 1:32 PM, Tim Reilly wrote:

> Hi David & Serge,
>
> [David Sean Taylor wrote:]
>> Another problem Im seeing is that we are not referencing the same
>> versions of dependencies in components
>> For example, different components have different dependencies on jars
>> like commons-lang
>> I think we need to ensure that we use the same jars in all components
>
> Externalizing POM dependencies as entities may help with this.
> The specifics of the jar + version could be maintained in a central
> location
> (dependency entities file).
>
> The pom for each component would have a declaration & dependency
> section
> like this:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE project [
>     <!ENTITY % dependencies SYSTEM
> "file:../[somepath]/dependencies.ent">
> %dependencies;
> ]>
> <dependencies>
>     &dep-commons-digester;
>     &dep-commons-lang;
> </dependencies>
>
> Wiki post on project consistency with Entities:
> http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/
> EnsureProjectConsistencyWithEntities#head-f08
> 4de6c54f76773e10827ea8619e139fa4af082
> The wiki has more detailed information, such as when war bundle is
> true,
> etc.

Thanks that was very useful and looks very easy to implement.
We have to be careful with externalization because, as you pointed out,
some projects may need to have war-bundle true, while other's not.
Should we vote on externalizing POM dependencies as entities?
My vote is +1 to move all dependencies into a central location like in
the examples found on the Wiki link above.