From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Proposed fix for NewRSSPortlet
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:00:10 GMT

On Jun 24, 2004, at 10:58 PM, Eric Wittle wrote:

> I tried using the NewRSSPortlet to point to the RSS feed from my blog.
> The description tag in the RSS field from the blog contains escaped
> HTML markup, which (based on my brief research) should be legal in RSS
> 0.92. The NewRSSPortlet as distributed in jetspeed 1.5 passes the
> escaped markup on to the browser, so the user sees the HTML tags.
>
> The solution is to unescape the HTML. The way I've done this so far is
> to swap out commons-lang-1.0.jar for commons-lang-2.0.jar and use
> StringEscapeUtils.unescapeHtml(). If there is a less disruptive way of
> doing this, please let me know.

The CVS head is at commons-lang 2.0

> I'd like to know:
>
> 1) Does this seem like a generally useful fix?
Yes, please send a patch
Please make sure to create your patch against the latest CVS head

> 2) What documentation/testing/etc. should I provide, and to whom, to
> get this into the Jetspeed core?

Make a JIRA issue, document the problem there, and attach a patch

> Thanks,
>
> -Eric Wittle
> ericw at wittle.net
>
> P.S. I'm working with Jetspeed in Eclipse. Is there any interest in
> clearing up the ~600 warnings that get displayed in the Problems tab?
> I'd be happy to take a swing at this if people think it would be
> useful.

If you want to clean it up, take the same approach as described above,
open a JIRA issue, attach a patch
This could be a big one...

--
David Sean Taylor