From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Caching of entites and windows becoming an issue
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:52:24 GMT

On Jun 30, 2004, at 8:12 AM, Scott T Weaver wrote:

> We are caching both PortletEntities and PortletWindows.
>
> This is becoming a serious issue with regards to re-deployment breaking
> because of stale objects within misc. caches.

Could you explain this serious issue in a little more detail?
I can't re-deploy here, because of a resource leak holding on to the
jar file

Its not clear what exactly the problem is from your description above,
or if its related to the resource leak bug
Is it because the portlet gets a new id, and the entity still points to
the old id?
If the portlet knew about all of its entities, it could invalidate them

> 1. (Not so good approach) Expose both window and entity caches as
> components so that they are accessible by any components that need to
> manipulate the caches, like deployment.
>
> 2. (Better approach) Same as above, but use a single cache via a
> caching
> api like OSCache, http://www.opensymphony.com/oscache/

Funny you mention that, I reviewed Open Symphony's oscache last night
I was looking into putting a cache into the Profiler after looking at
the Proxy Tools bug that Jeremy reported

There is also

http://jcache.sourceforge.net/

and from Apache

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jcs/